Makes 16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (1 1/2 sticks), softened
- 3 large eggs
- choice of frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9″ round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper; dust with cocoa, shaking out excess.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and 3/4 tsp salt. In 2 cup liquid measuring cup, mix buttermilk and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat sugar and butter until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks to cool completely. Carefully remove and discard waxed paper.
- Assemble cake: Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on cake plate. With narrow metal spatula, spread 2/3 cup frosting over layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Spread remaining frosting over side and top of cake.