- 1 1/2 lb large shrimp (about 24), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium tomatoes (8 oz) cored and quartered
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Toss shrimp with lime juice, salt and pepper in medium bowl; set aside.
- Process garlic, tomatoes and chipotle chile in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and very lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic mixture; raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and ark, about 5 minutes.
Add shrimp with marinade and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes; stir in oregano. Adjust seasonings with extra salt & pepper, if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and garnish with cilantro.