Makes 16 appetizers.
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup cooked lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 of a medium avocado
- 2 tablespoons coarsely shredded carrot
- 16 small fresh basil leaves
- Trim ends of zucchini. Using a sharp vegetable peeler, slice zucchini lengthwise into wide, flat ribbons. Discard first and last slices, and the seedy portions in the middle. (You will need 32 ribbons.) Set ribbons aside.
- Carefully clean crabmeat, removing any shell or cartilage pieces. Drain crabmeat well in a colander, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove most of the liquid. Pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl combine crabmeat, mayonnaise, wasabi paste, and salt. Seed and peel the avocado; cut into thin strips.
- On a clean work surface, place one zucchini ribbon on top of another. For each roll-up, place 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of crab mixture at one end of a doubled zucchini ribbon. Top with avocado strips, a few shreds of carrot, and a basil leaf. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. If desired, cover and chill up to 30 minutes.