Makes 6 servings
- 6 (4 to 6-ounce) filet mignons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Generously season the steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place filets on each of 6 dinner plates. Drizzle the sauce over the filets and serve.