- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- hot cooked rice
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Combine tomatoes with juice and broth in slow cooker. Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of small skillet. Cook over high heat without stirring 3-4 minutes, or until flour begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium; stir flour about 4 minutes. Stir in oil until smooth. Carefully whisk flour mixture into slow cooker.
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme and red pepper to slow cooker. Stir well. Cover; cook on LOW 4 1/2 – 5 hours.
- Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Tip: If gumbo thickens upon standing, stir in additional broth.