Makes 4 servings
- 4 fresh or frozen rock lobster tails (5 oz each)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Thaw lobster, if frozen. Rinse lobster; pat dry with paper towels. Butterfly tails by using kitchen shears or a sharp knife to cut lengthwise through centers of hard top shells and meat, cutting to, but not through, bottoms of shells. Press shell halves of tails apart with your fingers.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter. Remove from heat. Stir in chives and lemon peel. Remove 2 tablespoons of the sauce; set the remaining sauce aside.
- Lightly grease the rack of a gas grill. Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Brush lobster meat with some of the 2 tablespoons sauce. Place lobster, meat sides down, on the grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill for 6 minutes. Turn lobster. Brush with the rest of the 2 tablespoons sauce. Cover and grill for 6 to 8 minutes more or until lobster meat is opaque.
- Heat the reserved sauce, stirring occasionally. Transfer the sauce to small bowls for dipping and serve with lobster. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
To grill lobster on a charcoal grill: Prepare as above except cook tails directly over medium coals for 6 minutes. Turn; brush with remaining sauce and cook 6 to 8 minutes more or until lobster meat is opaque.