- 2 1/4 lb beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 1/2 tsp coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub the cracked pepper evenly over surface of beef, pressing gently to help pepper adhere.
- In a small bowl, combine parsley, chives, and tarragon. Mix well. Spread herb mixture evenly on a plate or a sheet of waxed paper.
- Place beef on top of the herbs. Roll beef in herbs to coat completely, pressing gently to help herbs adhere. Loosely tie beef at 2 inch intervals with kitchen twine along its length.
- Place the beef on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Roast beef until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in center registers 145°F for medium-rare, about 30 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Transfer beef to a carving board and let stand for 15 minutes, allowing the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. Remove string and carve into thin slices. Serve immediately.