- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- confectioners’ sugar
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven 400°F. Grease 15x10x1″ jelly roll pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into piece of waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until stiff peaks form. Beat yolks, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla in another small bowl until thick and fluffy.
- Fold in flour mixture, half at a time, with rubber scrapper until completely blended. Fold meringue into egg yolk mixture until no streaks remain. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed.
- Loosen cake around edge with knife; sieve confectioners’ sugar lightly over cake. Cover with paper towel. Invert onto wire rack; peel off waxed paper. Starting at short end, roll up cake with towel. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- Wash and hull berries; dry on paper towel. Slice into small bowl. Beat cream in another small bowl until slightly thickened. Add confectioners’ sugar, continue beating until stiff.
- Unroll cake carefully. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with sliced berries. Cover with whipped cream spread within 1/2″ of all edges.
- Reroll cake again using towel as guide. Refrigerate until serving time.